Monday, June 25, 2007

THE SURVIVAL OF MARRIAGE

from Christine Harvey

Have you ever wondered why some marriages last and others don’t?

I do, and so I surveyed people married over 27 years with this question:
“What would your advice be to a young couple just getting started in marriage, for how to have a long and happy life together?”

The answers were so good that I wanted to share them with you:

  1. Grace – “To receive give and receive forgiveness.”
  1. Reciprocal understanding – “When your partner expresses a need or desire, always turn it around in you mind and think of it as your own need. Have tolerance for that need, whether it is a ball game you don’t really want to attend, or a perceived hurt of some kind.”
  1. Love – “I always try to remember my love for my partner, even during an argument. It helps to take my mind and feelings back to when we first met.”

What jumps out for you as you read these? What could you apply in your life today? Aren’t these also great answers to dealing with any one in life? In fact, is it not possible that the original question I asked:

“What would your advice be to a young couple just getting started in marriage, for how to have a long and happy life together?”

…could just as easily been:

“What would your advice be to anyone who wants to have a happy life, with regard to their relationship with people?”

Hum, something to ponder.

Focus Tip for Today: Determine that you will have a better life today. Decide which mindset will you implement immediately- grace, reciprocal understanding and/or love?

No comments: