Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gratitude to Parents for Your Unique Qualities=?ISO-8859-1?B?rSA=?= Manifest Moments=?ISO-8859-1?B?gQ==?=, Issue 18


From Christine Harvey, WomenForWealth.com

On our latest Prosperity Team™, one of our members told this story about how she gained her unique skill of seeing the positive side of life in every situation.

That’s a skill that most people LONG TO CULTIVATE, knowing that it will take them to new heights of both success and inner tranquility.

Here’s her story:
When I was five, my mother signed up for a family paper route. At 5AM every morning, my brother and I would climb into the truck with Mom, then travel along each street, throwing the papers from door to door.”

The important thing for Connie however was what went on in the car as they drove. She remembers each morning fondly, because something happened that influenced her life and her career - AND would prove to last a life time.

This is what it was... “Each morning Mom played a tape of Earn Nightingale. Later I discovered that he was the guru of positive thinking and gratitude.” They probably heard Earl’s classics - things like ‘The Essence of Success,’ and ‘Flames of Hope,’ or ‘Follow Your Interest.’

As a result, Connie has taken on a mind set of positive thinking that has lead her far. It’s lead her to having her own business over the last 12 years. It’s lead her to a successful marriage and spiritual life. It’s lead her to coaching people to improve their sales results, in which she flies all over the world. In fact, she’s has just returned from Trinidad, and is leaving for China soon to extend her market there.

“I attribute my mind set of gratitude and positive thinking to those moments each morning in the car, when my mother had the foresight to play Earl Nightingale tapes - instead of traveling in silence, or letting the kids just play or complain about getting out so early, as kids will often do,” Connie said as she told us of her gratitude to her mother.

Each of us has uniqueness brought about and influenced by our parents. What our yours? It’s important to acknowledge these. When we do, we can build upon them. We can express gratitude for them – to ourselves and yes, why not even to our parents.

This is a subject close to my heart because I lost my father last week rather suddenly. He was living near me independently, and took a trip to see relatives. Three weeks later he died from an infection and heart problems. While I know he’s in good hands and that he had a long life, I still feel sad that I can’t just pick him up and take him places as I used to. Or tease him about his intellect and tell him he could have been a college professor.

In his last moth of life however, I did discover one thing about him - and that was his persistence and determination. Almost each day for 2 weeks, I drove him to an appointment for a treatment. And each day after the appointment, he wanted to stop for ice cream. Some days I wanted to skip the ice cream and get back to what I perceived to be the ‘urgency’ of running my business. But he was relentless in his persistence to stop. One day I said to him, “Well Dad, I never knew before that it was you who I got my persistence from! Thank you.” And I meant it.

If your parents are still here with you, I encourage you to think of what unique skills and talents you got because of them. Then pick up the phone and express that gratitude. You never know, it could be one of the last chances you have.

3 MINUTE FOCUS TIP: Stop now and choose one of your unique talents. Think about how one of your parents might have influenced, encouraged or cultivated that talent. Feel gratitude as Connie did and think of how to express your appreciation. In this way, you can spread the ‘wealth of inspiration’ with others.

With love from ChristineHarvey@WomenForWealth.com,
And ChristineHarvey@ChristineHarvey.com


No comments: