Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Having it All ­ Sales Skills Are Life Skills- - Profit Pointers=?ISO-8859-1?B?gSA=?=Curriculum, Issue 15


Christine Harvey is the Author of 6 Business and Leadership Books published in 25 languages by 48 publishers worldwide, including international best seller ‘In Pursuit of Profit.’


(For application of these principles to:  business, real estate, network marketing, personal development, see APPLICATION TIPS below.)

Hello all,

As I sit looking out my window in Hawaii at the palms and sea, I’m reflecting on something very close to my heart – personal success.

Time after time in life I’ve watched intelligent, hard working people, fail and falter
because they did not have sales skills. And I don’t mean just in sales situations. I mean in everyday life.

Take the example of getting commitments. Maybe you have a tenant, Joe, who is late in making his rent payment and promises to pay. Or a boss or employee, Mary, who promises you something. If you have had sales training, you KNOW that you must ask ‘WHEN’ this promise will be delivered in order to nail down the commitment.

It might sound like this...” Joe, I hear you say you’ll be able to pay a half month. WHEN will that payment be coming? Tuesday, OK. What time Tuesday will you be here?” If Joe objects, you know you have not ‘sold’ the concept that he needs to pay. So you start over... “Joe, if you’re not sure what time you’ll be here, then I assume it’s not a commitment. Joe, I’ll have to start the eviction process now today unless you can commit to a time to come on Tuesday.”

If you don’t understand sales procedures, you’ll not ask for commitment, Joe won’t come Tuesday and you’ll be in agony, resentment and needing to start your eviction process much later then necessary.

And what about the boss or colleague who promises you a report. Maybe it affects your bottom line or your mental well being. Mary has good intentions when she promises you that report but she gets overwhelmed with other pressing problems and your issue falls to the bottom of her list.

Why? Because she has no commitment to deliver by a certain date. If you had had sales training, you would have handled it like this when she made the promise... ”Thanks Mary. That report is really important because it affects how we will move forward on this deal. Just so I can tell the others - and so we can put together our time line - when will you be able to send that over to me? Tuesday? Great. I’ll schedule everything around Tuesday then.”

Do you see the difference? You’ve put the person’s reputation on the line AND you’ve made them see why it’s important. Now instead of it being just another annoying task, it jumps to the top of their priority pile.

So what does this have to do with Hawaii? Just this one simple thing... If I had not had sales training, I would NOT own this condo now... This condo in FRONT of the Trump Tower. Yes, as my good friend James quips ‘Christine, you’ve out trumped Trump.’ Without sales training I would not have traveled the world, started several businesses that have impacted thousands or have addressed several Parliaments. No, I would still be sitting at home wondering why I had not achieved my potential.

I’m sharing this with you because I firmly believe that we must share what we know with each other in order to achieve our dreams in life. One of my dreams has been to own a beachfront second home in the famous stretch of Waikiki. I achieved it because I’ve had a life of practice in negotiation and goal setting thanks to my career in sales and business. And I would not have exceeded in business without my grounding in sales.

So if you feel blocked, start reading and studying sales. It’s not about selling. It’s about life.

Remember, sales skills are life skills. To increase get commitment and success in life, learn sales skills...

3 MINUTE ACTION TIP: To dramatically increase your results in life, do two things. Pick up a good sales book and enroll in a sales course. Then use sales skills in every facet of life including getting commitments.  

APPLICATION TIPS: USE THIS ACTION TIP with customers to impact your dreams and make them come true.


REFERENCE RESOURCE: Chapter 11, Pages 103-105,  In Pursuit of Profit, by Christine Harvey - an international best seller, published in 8 languages and used by corporations and Institutes of Management around the world.

Hurry - June Prosperity Teams™ are starting - register now Don’t be left out - join our Prosperity Team™ for high achievers and see how your dreams and goals can be transformed overnight. Go to this link:
http://www.womenforwealth.com/htm/EShop/prosperityteams.html

No comments: